Housed within London Business School, the Coller Institute of Private Equity has as its primary focus the establishment of a world renowned research centre and debating forum on private equity.
The bridge between the academic and practitioner worlds, the Institute has no pre determined agenda or position. We are dedicated to the rigorous analysis and synthesis of data to establish and promote new insights and so facilitate a better understanding of the industry.
We are interdisciplinary in our approach to research to encompass strategy, economics, organisation and management as well as finance.
Integral to our vision, is the provision of world class education both to our students and executives via the private equity elective and Coller Institute MasterClass
The Coller Institute of Private Equity depends on its sponsors to fund its research agenda and outreach activities including publications, website developments and events.
Further to the generous commitment from the J Coller Foundation we continue to selectively consider additional donations from interested individuals and organisations that are aligned to our vision and would like to help us achieve it.
Beyond an interest in developing and disseminating rigorous educational analysis for all stakeholders interested in Private Equity, we see a sponsor’s key role as engendering :
- Diversity – stakeholder perspectives to the Coller Institute’s agenda and voice
- Partnership – a real commitment to achieving our vision in terms of projects and/or events
- Network/Access – to data, individuals and other resources for research, case studies and events
- Knowledge transfer – to ensure we maintain our first rate teaching expertise and peer reviewed academic research.
- Fit – with respect to our vision, our mission and our existing partners.
We have developed two levels for donors;
- Friends of the Institute
- Institute Partners.
Each donation is for a minimum period of 3 years.
MVision is a PartnerFor more information on how to donate click here
Coller Institute Research
The Coller Institute of Private Equity is a research centre within London Business School. As such its focus on research is fundamental to its vision and mission. Our interests are broad, covering venture capital to private equity; examining this field from a variety of stakeholder perspectives. Our research comprises academic papers, case studies and applied analysis.
Further details can be found under RESEARCH on this website which also includes a search engine to identify work written by authors outside of the Institute.
To date the Coller Institute's research interests have encompassed :
- Corporate Governance and Value Creation drivers in Private Equity
- Comparative Board Practices between Plc and PE Boards with reference to value creation
- Liquidity crisis - impact on Private Equity from GPs and LPs perspectives including deal sourcing, execution and fund cash flow
- Banking crisis - private equity as buyers of last resort of distress - assets, debt, and businesses
- Evolution of the industry - out performing in the downturn
- The PE contract as defined in its broadest terms
- Private Equity - its impact on the economy and society
Inaugural PhD Prize awarded
The inaugural PhD Prize was awarded on 30 November 2010 to Ji-Woong Chung, currently of Ohio State University for “Performance Persistence in Private Equity Funds”. Linus Siming, currently of Bocconi University, was awarded the runner-up prize for “Your Former Employees Matter: Private Equity Firms and Their Financial Advisors”. Both winner and runner-up presented their papers to the assembled audience on the award evening. Please refer http://www.collerinstitute.com/Blogs/Show/7/54#entry-54 for a write-up of the event.
In The Press
STABLE TEAMS DON'T GET THE BEST RESULTS
Online Article - 04 November 2011
LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL IS NOW IN A CLASS OF ONE
Press Release - 01 March 2010
(PDF document - 53kb)